My friend, Patty (see her blog at Pat Esden in my sidebar) assigned this meme to one of her characters. As someone who knows a good idea when I see it, I shamelessly stole--er, make that borrowed--the concept.
Meet Kieran Holt--17-year-old Londoner who has come to Whitby, Yorkshire after the death of her sister and gets more than she bargained for when she comes across an old house that she may or may not remember.
1. What are your nicknames? My mother, Vivian, calls me Kiki. I hate Kiki.
2. What do you do before bedtime? Study. It’s soothing.
3. What one place have you visited that you can't forget and want to go back to? Apparently Sorrows Court—though I’ve never been to the Yorkshire coast before. Explain, then, how I remember this house. And its long-dead owners.
4. What are some of your favorite scents? Books. New books, old books, libraries, bookstores. Oh--and fresh shortbread.
5. If you had a million dollars that you could only spend on yourself, what would you do with it? Buy a bookstore, hire someone to run it, and spend my days alone in a private library upstairs. Or possibly move to Africa and work in a public-health clinic. I’m 17—I don’t quite know yet.
6. What is your theme song? "The Wanderer" by Odd Project.
7. Do you trust easily? No.
8. Do you generally think before you act, or act before you think? According to my sister, I think and think and never act.
9. Is there anything that has made you unhappy these days? Besides my sister being dead?
10. Do you have a good body-image? I have a body. It works. For now.
11. What have you been seriously addicted to lately? Avoiding everything that might bring up painful memories of Alix.
12. How many colors are you wearing now? Olive green cargo pants, white t-shirt, pink hoodie.
13. What’s the last song that got stuck in your head? “Everything’s Magic” by Angels and Airwaves. I could swear my iPod knew what I was feeling the first time I looked at Sorrows Court--it sure picked an appropriate song.
14. What’s your favorite item of clothing? Alix’s flannel shirt that she always wore around the flat to keep warm.
15. What was the last book you read? Non-fiction? Just finished A-levels, so too many to list. Fiction? I’m a closet fantasy fan—Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.
16. What would you do with an extra five hundred dollars right now ... the only catch being that you have to spend it within a week? I have a trust fund and a generous trustee—an extra five hundred dollars would go into the fund and gather interest like the rest.
17. What items could you not go without during the day? iPod. Music is my most reliable distraction at the moment.
18. What should you be doing right now? Going to sleep. But I think I’ll go explore the