Tuesday, April 22, 2008

SIXTEEN AND COUNTING

Years, that is. In honor of our wedding anniversary, I have a few words to say about my husband.


What is your husband’s name? Chris

How long have you been together? First date December 3, 1986 (both 17 years old). Engaged December 3, 1991. Married April 22, 1992.How long did you date? Not quite for the entire 5 years—for 3 years we weren’t even on the same continent (he went to Brazil, I went to Haiti, he went to Israel . . .)

Who eats more? Definitely me.

Who said “I love you” first? Chris. At the age of 18. (But I definitely thought it first!)

Who is taller? Chris, by more than 5 inches.

Who is smarter? Chris. I don’t even begin to understand his work.

Who is more sensitive? I suppose that would have to be me—if you consider crying over commercials, watching Jane Austen films, and occasionally talking about my feelings to be sensitive.

Who does the laundry? The kids. (Yeah, right, in my dreams.)

Who does the dishes? The automatic dishwasher.

Who sleeps on the right? It’s not a matter of right or left, it’s a matter of nearer the door and farther away. I have to be farther away from the door. (You know, so I have time to jump out the second-floor window while a crazed ax murderer kills Chris first. I'm old-fashioned that way.)

Who pays the bills? Chris makes the money, I write the checks.

Who mows the lawn? Our lawn service. Seriously. Don’t laugh.

Who cooks dinner? Since Jake got sick, our family and friends. And the take-out places. Even before, you couldn’t call what I did cooking.

Who drives when you are together? He likes it when I drive, so he can work. Unless we're going a long way (think Klamath Falls) and then he likes to drive so I can read aloud.

Who is more stubborn? With each other? Neither. With others? I’ll almost always give in to have peace.

Who kissed whom first? He kissed me, but only after I made a perfect fool of myself hinting around. (We were only in high school, remember?)

Who asked who out first? He asked me, but only because he felt sorry for me. (Long story about Academic Decathlon and my GPA. If you haven’t heard it, count yourself lucky.) We went to a BYU-Utah State basketall game. It was the first time in 10 years BYU beat Utah State. Talk about omens.

Who proposed? He did. In a parking lot. Another long story.

Who has more siblings? Chris wins by a landslide, with four brothers and two sisters. All older. I have one younger brother.


"If I could choose from every man who lives on this earth . . ."

Happy Anniversary.

Love you.

3 comments:

Judy said...

This was fun to read. I remember some of those things. Oh the high school years.

Congrats on 16 years. We celebrate 17 next month.

Ginger Churchill said...

I keep looking at my front yard thinking: lawn service, LAWN SERVICE!

I hope you're having a great vacation.

stacey said...

I remember some of those things too! It couldn't really have been that long ago. Could it?