Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It's The First Day Of School.

Not just any first day of school. It's the one I've been waiting for four more than fourteen years now. The one that took all four of my children, delivered them into the hands of their teachers, and won't bring them home until afternoon.

No more toddlers. No more preschool. No more kindergarten that gets out at noon.

Today, my baby started 1st grade.

As I told my 14-year-old last night: "It's totally worth getting old for the payoff of having you all grow up as well."

No, I didn't cry today. Only once has school brought me to tears. (Yes, it was that cliched day when my oldest child started kindergarten. In my defense, I was 7 months pregnant, we'd just moved states, my husband had a new job, and we were living my parents while we built a house.) I love school. I love schedules and early bedtimes and the excitement of hearing about new teachers and new friends.

And I love the solitude.

Excuse me while I go revel. And possibly dance. It's going to be a good year.

No comments: